Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hastings, New Zealand - a very laid back town on the East side of the North Island of New Zealand

December 29-30, 2010 - Hastings, New Zealand....
 This is the city of Hastings, a quaint little town, the hub of the city is their city centre where all the businesses and shops are located. The Clock Tower is a Hastings landmark at the heart of the city.
 The shops at Hastings are all small and yet very friendly country style hospitality, everyone says hello to you as you meet them on the streets, people seems happy and un-hurried...

 The city shops sorrounded by fountains and man made lakes, aside from driving on the left side of the road, we felt at home here.  The weather was perfect and everyone was walking around in shorts and sandals.
 Hasting's Clock Tower with the sheep statues is the main attraction of this country setting town...


 The shops are lined with hanging purple petunias throughout the main shopping district, very clean and almost deserted, since we got there 2 days before New years, most of the shops are closed for the holidays..
 K-Mart store was a welcome sight, we were thrilled to find out that most of our franchise stores are everywhere in New Zealand.
 Even the aisles look and arranged the same as our stores in the mainland US, here Sandy and my sister checking out the cosmetic section of the store.
 At first I thougth this was their Wendy's, it turned out to be their ice cream shop like Baskin and Robbins, except the selections were limited...
 That's Kayvin filling up his antique car for the New Year...
 This is Hastings after 5PM, all the shops closes, except for their Dairy Stores (convenient store like 7-11)..
 Typical Hastings home, tiny English cottages with 1 car garage seemed the norm, very few homes with 2 car garages.
 My sister, Nilda and Sandy preparing to sit down for a meal..
 My sister washing and preparing the cherries for lunch..
 Sandy talking to our girls on our Magic Jack, that worked great, almost like we were just next door talking to them in California.
 Nilda Daken and Sandy de Leon, posing infront of the city centre.
 My sister and I infront of the Clock Tower & fountain..
 Sandy and my niece, Jonilyn, we surprised her on this visit to Waikaparau, North of Hastings, approximately 40 miles away, so she was dressed very casual..

 My sister's flat, this is a 2 bedroom and 1 bath home with 1 car garage... I was shocked to find out that they dry their clothes and laundry outside in the sun, not a very familiar sight...
Sandy standing outside the Flat as we were getting ready to leave for our city visit...
Taken December 29th, we made a dash to the City Centre to pick up some items for our New Years Eve...Standing at the Clock Tower Gardens, these Maori Totem Poles are displayed for their native arts..

2 comments:

  1. Thank you !!! My son on his way to HASTINGS, so I thrilled to find your photo blog !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dad! You look so happy in these pics, I remember your excitement and I still have your postcards from your visit. Reading this makes me so happy yet so sad. Happy to have these memories but sad because I miss you. Looking at these dates, who knew you would pass less then a year from when you posted this. I love you and miss you, I can't wait to see you again...to hug, talk, and touch you again. Until I see you in heaven, I will work my hardest to make you proud. Love you lots daddy! Felisa

    ReplyDelete